Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 2012

January 2012!! Cant get over how fast 2011 flew by... it was one heck of a year full of all sorts of challenges but I think that 2011 helped me grow a bunch in so many ways and I couldn't be more thankful for the experiences. I have a feeling 2012 will be just as challenging but I am ready for it!

We spent the 1st day of the new year busy but relaxed. We got up and went to Church, walked around the mall, came home took a nap, watched a Disney movie as a family and did a few little chores around the house. Over all it was a perfect day and a great start to the New Year.

Yesterday was a super productive day! I started the day cleaning out our junk drawers on a whim, actually I had been wanting to for a while and I figured new year and all the consumerism/advertising for organization I better jump on it. I wouldnt call it nesting because I am an organizing freak and am always looking for something to organize. Outwardly it annoys the hubby but inwardly he loves it cause he can find things on his own, most everything is in clear bins/containers and labeled too so its pretty hard NOT to find what you are looking for. After the junk drawers I got our tax paper work together... well it was already together I just went thru it to organize it better and double check were good to go. Then I recalculated our budget, paid a few bills and my favorite part... paid off a small loan, great feeling! Then I decided to 1/2 gut our master closet to fine tune its everyday use. Its a GIANT closet so I recently ditched the dressers in our bedroom and moved every piece of our clothes and the kids into our closet. When I did it though I didnt really map it all out, so yesterday I literally sat in our closet for a good 20-30 minutes configuring in my head where the best place for everything to go would be. The end result... not bad. One of these days I am going to go all out and have the closet professionally done but until then what I managed to accomplish will work for some time.

Today the quest to organize continues. But, I thought I would share some of my organizing mania with you all, feel free to steal the ideas some I have some are original but I have always been one to share. Happy organizing!!

Couple junk drawer tips... office drawer dividers work well but if your on a budget I have found that microwave meal dishes work well. After you enjoy your meal wash the plastic dish in the dishwasher and then into the junk drawer it goes to hold just about anything. I have 2 in the back of the drawer on the left! Laundry soap lids work great for all sorts of things I have one in the front of the drawer on the right holding misc nails and such. Be creative I have seen egg cartons used, muffin tins all sorts of things. I love it when I can re use/recycle things!!

I learned the hard way but plastic bins are the best. I used to use all sorts of decorative cloth, cardboard metal etc but I finally realized that they are not exactly cleanable friendly. Plastic can be wiped out and washed out. Plus with a man in the house to SEE what's inside AND label it its guaranteed he will be more inclined to put things away and take initiative to find things on his own!

For a closet this is great this one is from Target there are much nicer more durable ones at Ikea but for the closet this works just fine and is cheaper. each cubby has 2 purses in it... yes I have an addiction! Since most of my purses are Coach and come in purse bags cloth storage seems to be ok. Since you cant see whats inside I opted to label the wood right underneath each bin. Another option is to take a picture of the items inside and attach to a tag putting the tags on a ring on the handle of the bin.

Clear drawers! They are stackable and hold things like my socks, tights, work out clothes etc. Shoe storage I have had these for some time and they work decent of course who wouldn't love a Sex in the City closet but on a more affordable everyday use this works and looks pretty good. This of course isn't even 1/2 my shoe collection. For the most part I try to keep them in there shoe box if its a decently durable one those are stacked on the one built in bookcase in our closet just to the left of these. These I would say I really great for kids shoes cause as you can tell some of my sets of shoes don't fit so they take up two cubby holes. VERTICAL is key and personally so is a LABELER!! 

One of my favorite ideas. These are supposed to be for belts... as you can tell they work super for necklaces. I have a send one hanging right underneath this one for all my costume jewelry to hang on. Super cheap! Other options are peg board which we have hanging over head but have hats hooked on. I have seen wood hangers with plastic shower rings as another option. 

Thats it from yesterdays organizing day... more to come tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment